I can’t think of the last time I tried a new recipe, but tonight I did and we have a winner! The Panko-Crusted Chicken with Roasted Corn Hash and Buttermilk Dressing by Cooking Light was loved by the entire family. I knew the chicken would be a hit – my entire family loves chicken and we use panko in a lot of our meals. I was a little hesitant on the roasted corn hash, but even my corn-hater (that’s Alex in case you didn’t know) liked it – probably due to the bacon! (And now that I reread the recipe I think I actually doubled the bacon.)
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk, divided
1/2 teaspoon paprika, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves,
4 ears yellow corn with husks
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup panko
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 thinly sliced green onions
2 bottled roasted red bell peppers, chopped
1 tablespoon bottled roasted red bell pepper liquid
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1 cup buttermilk, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
3. Place corn directly on oven rack. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Cool slightly; remove husks and silks. Cut kernels from ears of corn, and place in a large bowl; discard corn cobs.
4. Combine remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk, parsley, and lemon juice in a bowl.
5. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika, remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, and panko in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge chicken in panko mixture.
6. Place bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add oil to drippings in pan. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done.
7. Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, corn, bacon, green onions, roasted red peppers, and red pepper liquid in a large bowl. Divide corn mixture evenly among 4 plates; top each with 1 chicken cutlet. Drizzle with buttermilk dressing.